Thursday, March 29, 2012

Rhythm Heaven Fever Review

Rhythm Heaven Fever (Review): Available on Nintendo Wii (Nintendo) - The Coast

As seen in The Coast, my review of Rhythm Heaven Fever wasn't exactly brimming with praise. I wanted to like the game, as the DS original was hilarious and fun, but sadly Fever was so frustrating and at times outright maddening, that I couldn't ignore the issues I had while playing.


It may be that I simply don't have the necessary internal tempo to truly enjoy this game, but I can't imagine I'm the only one who had issues with the punishing gameplay.

rhythm-review.jpg
The ability to change the difficulty setting, like in other music games, probably would have improved the experience.

Allowing me to slowly get into the mechanics rather than being thrown through a rhythm gauntlet would definitely have changed my opinion of the game. If difficulty options were available, I'd be playing on Easy.

The sad thing is that there is potential here for a great deal of wacky fun. The characters and settings are brilliantly rendered in a minimalistic style that is both cartoonish and eye-popping. I love the overall feel of the game, including the music, which is catchy and creative.

But if it's no fun to play? I just can't recommend it, unless you are dripping with Rhythm or march to the beat of a 'better' drum than I do.

If you're still curious, the game retails for $29.99 - not bad considering the going rate for most games out there.

Despite the Wii coming to a close later this year, there are still a few games coming out that I'm shaking with anticipation for, mainly the Operation Rainfall games: Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower (which hasn't been confirmed for localization in North America yet). All three are Japanese RPG's, and they've been getting a lot of buzz from critics and fans alike.

Nice to see that the Wii has a little bit of life left before its successor shows up this holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment