Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Best Controller

When it comes right down to it, the controller is one of the most important pieces of technology for gamers, it is our interface into these different worlds that we get lost in. And if the controller isn't comfortable or is unresponsive, it completely takes you out of the experience, breaking the 4th wall. 





I miss you
Playing Mass Effect 3 last night, this became absolutely apparent. One of my Xbox 360 controller's left analog sticks is stuck slightly to the left. So if I were to put my controller down, Commander Shepard would start slowly walking to the left, almost creeping. Not a huge deal right? Well later on when I was in cover during a firefight, my Shep kept wanting to either move as far as he could to the left or get out of cover altogether, taking me out of the excitement and just feeling frustrated.

Luckily I have a second 360 controller, with no perma-left stick, and my saving of the galaxy is going much better now. But it made me realize how important these gamepads are.

You don't really notice them until they screw up, but they are essential.


Here's a list of some of my favourite controllers over the years, starting from the top:


Nintendo Gamecube - perhaps the most ergonomically correct thing that has ever fit into my hands, the Gamecube's controller (and the later wireless variant Wavebird) felt like it was taking a nap in my hands. The buttons were placed perfectly and I never had an issue with one breaking on me. 

Xbox 360 - I know that the start of this post was pretty much me complaining about a sticky stick, but when all things are working properly, the 360's controller makes an ideal companion to any gaming experience. Great weight, button placement and comfort.

Gameboy Advance SP - In my opinion, the best handheld for playing games on the go, back in the day. A simple, elegant clamshell design, Nintendo absolutely nailed it. Making it one of the most comfortable portable companions ever.

Less than honourable mentions:

benheck xbox controller1
Xbox - The original Xbox controller was a monster. You could barely fit it in your hands around the thing, let alone try to play a game. The hideous X staring at you in the face didn't make things any better.

Wii - ahhh the Wii remote. Pretty much the most important part of the console, and completely a hit or miss depending on the game. Not the most comfortable thing to hold when playing a typical action or platforming game. But when using it to play titles like Wii Sports it's so integral to the whole experience, you don't even know its there.

PlayStation - You've got to hand it to Sony for keeping things pretty consistent over the years. And despite it's ergonomic design, I've never quite been able to wrap my head around this thing. Maybe it's the shapes instead of letters, I don't know. Also the PS3 wireless controller feels way too light. I feel like it could fly out of my hand at any time.

What are some of your favourite controllers?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment