Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Mass Effect 3 Continues to Impress



Note: I'll do my absolute hardest not to spoil any story elements, as I know how frustrating that can be.

I've been playing a lot of Mass Effect 3 lately, A LOT. We're talking multiple-hour long marathon sessions on a regular basis. I knew this was coming, just as surely as Command Shepard knew the Reapers were on their way to destroy us all. My only regret here is that it's taken time away from other games I'd like to try like Mario Party 9 (don't judge) and Journey, the latest PSN darling. But I'll have time for those soon.

 Mass Effect 3 has basically consumed my life since getting it earlier this month. Both the multiplayer and the single player campaign have me completely hooked. This isn't much of a surprise personally as ME1 and ME2 also had me utterly enthralled when they released.

But I'm terrified of how it ends. Everywhere I look I hear of people complaining about the ending. From my buddies who've already beaten it, to the masses (heh) on Twitter, and even EA/Bioware themselves saying they're 'looking into it.' That is really scary. I've been head-over-heels in love with this series since it came out in 2007. It was the reason I bought an Xbox before a PS3. Not Halo, not Fable - Mass fucking Effect.

The idea that this epic series ends on not only a flat note, but a terrible one has me shivering. I know, I know - It's just a game! And that's what I get for investing so much into it. But when a game is crafted as brilliantly as this one, it's hard to ignore such critiques of how all the cookies crumble.

That being said, the bulk of the actual game, what I've played so far, has been fantastic. It does stumble at times and there is the odd glitch, for example sometimes Shepard will talk to someone with his head pointed in the other direction, just looks odd. But in true Mass Effect fashion, the story and characters shine through. Although I do find I'm missing some of the amazing crew from Mass Effect 2, and the loyalty missions that went with them.

But one thing this part of the series has more than the two earlier games is an uncompromising sense of scale. Shepard has never faced odds quite this dire. The Reapers, the mysterious villains hinted at in the first two games, are here in full force, killing and harvesting millions of people as they go. Decisions you make not only save lives, but entire planets. It's quite something to witness. I would go into more detail but it's really something the player needs to experience first hand.


Multiplayer has also been a surprisingly fun way to take a break from the main story but still stay involved with the universe. Although sometimes when I get into it, I just want to quit and go back to the story. I don't know if I'll stick with it when I complete the game. And depending on the ending, I don't know if I'll replay the single player like I did with ME2.

But so far, pre-ending Mass Effect 3 has been an absolutely incredible experience, and I can't recommend the series enough. To me it is the crowning jewel of this console generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment