Thursday, April 12, 2012

Mass Effect Multiplayer



No Spoilers

I've finished the campaign of Mass Effect 3, which was a bitter sweet experience. On the one hand it was an incredible finale to one of the greatest moments in video game history. But that ending also means that, for now, the Mass Effect universe is on break. :(

Yes the ending has its controversies, but I felt that it did the series justice. The whole trilogy has been absolutely brilliant and I nearly cried when the curtains finally closed.

However, despite feeling depressed about the game being finished, I keep coming back to the multiplayer.

I'm not sure if this is a way for me to continually torture myself as a reminder that the trilogy is finished, or if it's actually damn good, probably a little bit of both.

The multiplayer is quite simple in practise, there aren't 20 different game modes with 32 players on one map. It's just you and 3 people fighting waves of incoming enemies. It's horde mode. But it's so fun I can't stop.
The Resurgence Pack was recently released as FREE (OMG) DLC beefing up the multiplayer suite with more maps, characters and weapons. Not to shabby considering EA's penchant for charging you for every possible thing.

It's awesome trying out the 6 different classes with different species, power-ups and weapons - fine-tuning your ultimate warrior badass.

My only gripe is that once finishing the game, I'm not sure why I'm still beefing up my galactic readiness or retiring my commandos and starting from scratch.

But the fun remains. Sure there are the typical issues you find in most multiplayer games: people sucking on your team, people quitting mid-match, etc. But there aren't too many glitches in the game itself to plague the experience.

One of the aspects that makes Mass Effect 3's multiplayer so addictive is the character upgrade system and weapon customization mechanic which it borrows from the single-player experience. You won't be as powerful as Commander Shepard, which makes sense seeing as he/she is the ultimate badass, but you can make your online characters pretty formidable. Each species has their unique idiosyncrasies which are really fun to explore. The Krogan, for instance are fantastic melee warriors, laughing away as they smash away your opponents.

I think I'm going to pick up Mass Effect 1 again (why did I ever trade it in?) and re-play the entire series from the beginning. I just can't get enough Mass Effect.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment